For 140 years, the Michigan Sheriffs’ Association has been a leader in providing education,training and programs in your community and to your Sheriff and his staff. Current issues include Safe Schools, Teenage Driver Safety, Identity Theft, Homeland Security, Senior Citizen Safety,Victim Service Teams, Mental Health and Line of Duty DeathAssistance.
Collectively, through the Michigan Sheriffs’ Association, the 83 Sheriff’s Offices enjoy a single voice in meeting the needs of policing at the county level. Working towards improved, professional standards to better serve and protect the citizenry, the Michigan Sheriffs’ Association is constantly striving to meet the following goals.
- Preserve and enhance the role of Sheriff as the chief elected law enforcement officer in the county
- Institute training and education programs in relation to concerns, trends and developments in law enforcement.
- Support effective law enforcement coverage of traffic and safety.
- Deter crime through prevention programs at both state and local levels.
- Assist in mutual administrative concerns regarding correctional facilities.
- Maintain a leadership role in support and enactment of appropriate law enforcement legislation to best serve the needs of the Sheriff and the citizens of Michigan.
- Formed in 1877, the Michigan Sheriffs’ Association is the oldest law enforcement organization in Michigan.
The Michigan Sheriffs’ Association at a Glance
- It is the only organization that officially represents the Office of Sheriff in Michigan.
- Represents the concerns of Sheriffs,their offices and other criminal justice members.
- Maintains and enhances the constitutional Office of Sheriff by representing it to the general public; members and agencies of state and county government; and other aspects of the criminal justice system.
- Provides a variety of educational resources to Sheriffs and other criminal justice professionals,and to the general public.
- Monitors pending legislation, court decisions and state funding resources that affect jail and department operations and local services
- The Michigan Sheriffs’ Association NEVER solicits donations by telephone or permits unsavory tactics to solicit donations from members or prospective members.