Sheriff Mike Borkovich
Address: 8525 E Government Center Dr Suttons Bay, MI 49682
Sheriff Michael Borkovich was elected to the office of Leelanau County Sheriff in 2012 and won re-election to a second term in 2016.
Sheriff Borkovich began his Law Enforcement career in 1980 as a Michigan State Park Officer before being selected as a Michigan Conservation Officer in 1984. During his career with the Department of Natural Resources, Sheriff Borkovich served in Lapeer, Oakland, Saginaw, Antrim and Leelanau Counties before promoting to Sergeant of District 3 supervising all DNR Law Enforcement activities in Antrim, Charlevoix and Emmett Counties. Sheriff Borkovich received many awards during his DNR career including:
- Quality Deer Management Association National Wildlife Officer of the Year 2010
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation Guy Bradley Officer of the Year Award 2010
- DNR Law Enforcement Division State Pistol Champion Award 2005
- Michigan United Conservation Clubs Officer of the Year Award 2003
- DNR – Shikar Safari Club Michigan Conservation Officer of the Year Award 2002
- Multiple Year Team Member DNR Governor’s Cup Pistol Team
- Big Rock Invitational Police Firearms Competition Top Gun and Team Trophy 1988
- Michigan United Conservation Clubs Officer of the Year Award 1988
- National Exchange Club Police Officer of the Year Award 1986
- Lansing Community College Police Academy Highest Firearms Qualification Award 1984
During his career, Sheriff Borkovich has received extensive training and earned certifications in a variety of Law Enforcement topics. He has also served as an Instructor for the DNR, MCOLES and the Northwestern Michigan College Police Academy among others.
- Rangemaster and Head Academic Firearms Instructor, Northwestern Michigan College Police Academy since 1988
- MLEOTC/MCOLES Certified Firearms, Driving, Defensive Tactics, First Aid, CPR,
Emergency Vehicle Operator, Lien Operator and Class III Breathalyzer Operator
- Served on multiple MLEOTC/MCOLES firearms-related committees
- SIGARMS, SMITH & WESSON, SPRINGFIELD ARMORY, REMINGTON and COLT Armorer
- NRA Certified Weapons Instructor
- Certified Michigan Charter Boat Inspector
- Department of Homeland Security Certified CBRNE and Terrorism Response Instructor
- Office for Domestic Preparedness Certified ISC Instructor
- MLEOTC/MCOLES Subject Matter Expert in Firearms related issues
- DNR Supervisory Mentoring Course Graduate
- Tactical Tracking Operations School Graduate
- Michigan State Police Leadership School Graduate
- Michigan State Police Supervisor Development School Graduate
Outside of work, Sheriff Borkovich is active in many community organizations and is especially passionate about assisting Veterans Organizations and mentoring youth through sports.
- Active Member of the Cedar Rod & Gun Club since 1997
- Board of Directors, Leelanau County Sheriff’s Youth League
- Founding Member of Leelanau Whitetails, Established in 1999
- Volunteer and Hunting Guide for Multiple Disabled Veterans Organizations
- Guest Speaker for Multiple Church and Community-related Outdoor Organizations
- Annual Presenter at TBA/Tech Center Law Enforcement Career Program
- Boys and Girls AAU Basketball Coach
- Little League and American Legion Baseball Coach
- Active Member of St. Nicholas Orthodox Church in Flint, MI since 1955
- Michigan Vietnam Monument County Captain for Leelanau, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska and Antrim Counties.
Sheriff Borkovich is the son of Walter and Allison Borkovich and graduated from Kersley High School before attending Mott Community College and Michigan State University. He is one of five siblings. Brothers John and Bruce also served as Michigan Conservation Officers. Mike and his wife, Jennifer, were married in 1992 and have two children, Ressa and Walter. Ressa played basketball and graduated with Honors from Coastal Carolina University earning a degree in Public Health with a Biology minor and plans to attend Medical School. Walter is pursuing a degree in Communications at Michigan State University while pitching for the Spartan Baseball team.